|Vocabulary for debates and discussion
When you want to state an opinion:
want someone to repeat or explain:|
want to agree with someone (in ascending order of
want to disagree with someone (in ascending order of
disagreement (between people you know very well)|
want to persuade someone:|
Pairwork discussion topics|
Example topic for discussion : "Learning English is pointless".
A: I read in this article that learning English is pointless!
B: I don't really agree with you there. I'd say it was very useful
A: Why do you think that?
B: Well, English is now a world language - you need it communicate with people from other countries, to navigate on the Internet, and for international business.
A: Oh, I see what you mean.
discuss the topics below:|
- Money invested in space travel should be better invested in helping the poor and needy
- Experimenting on animals in laboratories is cruel
- Genetic engineering is nothing but a violation of the laws of nature
- Cloning could have disasterous consequences for mankind in the future
- The energy crisis is 'necessary' to maintain the world balance in power
- Man is his own worst enemy
- There is always a price to pay in protecting the environment
- In the 21st century mankind will regress to primitive levels of existence
- Animals should not be kept in captivity
- It is right to meddle with Nature
- Too much knowledge is a dangerous thing
- We hope 'teaching machines' will replace teachers
- Man descended from the apes
- Time is relative
- Any method is justifiable if the aim is to preserve life