domingo, 28 de septiembre de 2014

DEBATES- NEXT YOU FIND SOME VOCABULARY AND IDEAS WILL BE PRACTISING FOR DEBATES
Vocabulary for debates and discussion
When you want to state an opinion:
INFORMAL
  • In my opinion____
  • I think that_____
  • I feel that______
  • I believe that______
  • It seems to me that________
  • If you ask me_____
  • I'd say that_______
  • The point is________
  • As I see it_______
  • I'd say that______
  • The point is______

FORMAL
  • You know what I think... I think that____
  • Wouldn't you say that_______?
  • Don't you agree that_______?
  • I'd just like to say that______
  • I'd like to point out that_______

When you want someone to repeat or explain:
  • I don't understand what you mean
  • Would you explain that, please?
  • I'm sorry, but I didn't understand your point.
  • Could you give an example?
  • What do you mean by_____?
When you want to agree with someone (in ascending order of formality):
  • You're right
  • I think so, too
  • I agree with you
  • You could be right
  • I couldn't agree more
  • That's a good point
  • I couldn't agree more
  • I see what you mean
  • That's just what I was thinking
  • I agree entirely
  • You know, that's exactly what I think

When you want to disagree with someone (in ascending order of formality):
  • Yes, but_____
  • I disagree
  • That's not the point
  • No, I think you're wrong
  • Up to a point, but________
  • Yes, that's quite true, but_____
  • I'm not sure I quite agree
  • Well, you have a point there, but_____
  • Perhaps, but don't you think that_____
  • I see what you mean, but________
  • I tend to disagree with you there
Informal disagreement (between people you know very well)
  • I can't agree with you there
  • You can't be serious!!
  • Come off it!
  • Don't be silly!
When you want to persuade someone:
  • You must admit that___
  • Do you really believe that_____?
  • Don't you think that______?
  • Don't you agree that____?
Pairwork discussion topics
Roleplay situation:
Example topic for discussion : "Learning English is pointless".
A: I read in this article that learning English is pointless!
B: I don't really agree with you there. I'd say it was very useful
A: Why do you think that?
B: Well, English is now a world language - you need it communicate with people from other countries, to navigate on the Internet, and for international business.
A: Oh, I see what you mean.
In pairs, discuss the topics below:
  • space travel is a complete waste of money
  • the Internet is making face-to-face communication obsolete
  • there should be a 50km speed limit on ALL roads
  • English is a very easy language to master
  • all motorists should be obliged to wear seatbelts
  • putting wild animals in cages in zoos is cruel
  • women are worse drivers than men
Topics for group discussion or debate:
  • Money invested in space travel should be better invested in helping the poor and needy
  • Experimenting on animals in laboratories is cruel
  • Genetic engineering is nothing but a violation of the laws of nature
  • Cloning could have disasterous consequences for mankind in the future
  • The energy crisis is 'necessary' to maintain the world balance in power
  • Man is his own worst enemy
  • There is always a price to pay in protecting the environment
  • In the 21st century mankind will regress to primitive levels of existence
  • Animals should not be kept in captivity
  • It is right to meddle with Nature
  • Too much knowledge is a dangerous thing
  • We hope 'teaching machines' will replace teachers
  • Man descended from the apes
  • Time is relative
  • Any method is justifiable if the aim is to preserve life

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario